Born and raised in Delano, California, Sensei Belardo earned his first black belt in 1971 in Japanese Gojo after taking his first class in 1966. In 1972, he began teaching Shotokan karate at a church hall with a handful of students that lead to his first dojo in Bakersfield in the summer of 1975. In the addition to this, Sensei Belardo trained full contact karate and kickboxing under Ruben and World Champion Benny “The Jet” Urquidez in the early 1980’s and was a ranked contender in his weight division. Since that time, he’s promoted countless tournaments and kickboxing shows and have trained world class kick boxers.
Sensei Belardo teachers:
- 1966 – John Griffin, Japanese Goju
- 1971 – Kazuo Kuriyama, Japanse Shotokan
- 1973 – Robert Haliburton, Japanese Shotokan
- 1978 – Benny “The Jet” Urquides Full Contact Kickboxing
- 1983 – Hirokazu Kanazawa
- Shichidan 7th degree U.S Assn of Martial Arts.
- Rokudan 6th degree Shotokan Karate International
- Yondan 4th degree Ukidokan
- Shodan 1st degree Japanese Goju-ryu
Sensei Belardo currently is a professional judge for boxing, kickboxing and mix martial arts.
One of Sensei’s many talents include his singing ability that had him in front of a television audience singing the National Anthem in one of the televised boxing events.